Sunday, August 25, 2013

Pacific West Quilt Show 2013

One of the first exhibits we visited was From Away, which is a maritime expression meaning "not from around here". The exhibit was put on by the Fiber Art Network, a western Canadian group. Each artist interpreted the theme in her own unique way. On of my favorites was this delightful piece by Valerie Wilson, named Reaching the Target. It was vibrant, artfully executed and just pure joy.


The La Conner Quilt Museum shared a selection of quilts from their permanent collection. I am always amazed at the skill and artistic sensibility of the women who, using what they had on hand, still gave keen awareness to the placement of cloth to enhance a design.

Another favorite of mine was in the category Art - Non Representational. Made by Mary Kay Price of Lake Oswego, OR, it's named Coloring Outside the Lines. I've included a close up so that you can see the detail.The colorways work so well together and she repeated the varied orientations of quilting lines in the tonal border. Much of the quilting was done by hand. It was stunning.



There was also a exhibit of past category and show winners. While they are all outstanding in their class, one I didn't recall seeing before made me look for a very long time. Made by Louise Harris and Sedroy Woolley, it was called Choices, Seeing My Way Through. Sorry for the blurry image. I left my camera in the car and my I-phone is less than stellar in low light conditions.


And a couple of closeups...



I love how the artist has moved the value from dark to light across the quilt. It is a nice use of stripes.

Come back in a few days and I will share some more.

No comments: