It gets it's name from the colors chosen: lemon, lime, tangerine with a dollop of blueberry. The pattern is called Winding Ways. It was on my list of "Must Dos". The block is a small curved-petal looking square. See the two yellow with pinks beneath in the top row third from left. Every other block alternates it's color. So there is a block with green centers next to a block with citrus colors. The piecing is not difficult. For all of the curves, only one pin was required at the center for the last seam that joins the left half to the right. For that, I sewed from the center out on both sides. The pin and stitching method insured no shifting. It did require a lot of fabric pieces. I sent many fabrics to a vendor for laser cutting. Each piece was precisely the same size. And, I had many to choose from.
The difficulty for this design is the planning of colors to achieve the large round shapes. Each large ball touches 9 blocks. In planning, I laid out the pieces for each small block for the first three rows. When satisfied, I sewed the top row. Then I laid out the pieces for the 4th row. And, continued in this fashion for the length of the quilt.
There is always something that catches ones eye, a contrasting element of some sort. In this case it is the blues that appear however infrequently in this work. When I thought I was finished, I realized that the blues were mostly present at the top of the quilt. Another row was needed and added. Now there is balance


No comments:
Post a Comment